星期四, 5月 04, 2006

5/3 (Wed.) Do you have a role model or mentor in life?

Do you have a role model or mentor in life?

Hello everyone, I am David Jr., the substitute host on 3rd of May for Ariel Hsieh, because she will be in Japan that day. (don't forget to ask souvenir or gift from her) On that Wednesday evening, I would like to talk about Role Model in our life.

Although the definition of success for each person may not be completely the same, I think everyone likes to be successful in all aspect of life in some way. We can easily get so much information and principles teaching us how to succeed from books, video, speech or even from communication of friends. But we all know it's easy to be said than done. And among all these principles, I am quite interested in one big factor and that is finding a Role Model or mentor.

Please check the reference reading material below, Ingredient for Success: A Role Model http://www.youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1953

Possible questions for discussion is as follows,
Session 1,
(1) Do you agree with the article? Do you think having a role model really matters?
(2) Do you have a role model or mentor in any aspect of life now?
If you do, please tell us what kind of person they are and what aspect of life they get involved and help.
If you don't, why not?
(3) What kind of role model or mentor you really like to have? Share with us why.

Session 2,
(4) Is it easy to find a role model or mentor? And how can we find them? Any tip or method?
(5) Is it possible to find a role model or mentor in our club? If yes, who would be he or she? Why?

I hope you have a great meeting experience that day and get something helpful through discussion. See you that day~ David Jr.

Session1
Group members: David Liao, Simon, Austin, Angel and Anthony

I was a late comer last night. After I joined in that group, I found we were discussing the definition between role model and mentor.
For Angel, her role model is Marie Curie because of her persistence.
Austins role model seems to be rich guy like Bill Gates.
When I was child, my role model is Albert Einstein. After I went to University, it became to be Steve Job due to my respected for his innovation. Recently, it became to be Gates since hed found an US$30 billion charity foundation to save as many lives as possible in 3rd world nations.

Session 2
Group members: David Liao, Wayne, Angel and Ben

Wayne had made a clear definition among role model, ideal and mentors. I think Wayne may post them.

Angel broke up with her boyfriend few months ago. She talked to one of her female friends in YoYo. At that time, Angel was very depressed but through discussion with that friend she got inspiration. She thinks that friend is her mentor.

Wayne has a ���big-brother��� friend who always provides useful advices to him.

I got two mentors. One is my tai-chi-chuan master who either trains me or guide me some direction of the philosophy of tao. Through practicing, I learned how to strengthen my mind and body, how to concentrate, how to ���listen��� signals from others, how to attack and defend, how to understand some part of Tao-De-Ching, how to deal with conflicts��圯tc. After 4 years of practicing, it���s not just a martial art but a philosophy of life. The other one is my neighbor, Mr. Chang, an owner of a pharmaceutical manufactory, guide me how to invest a business, manage a team, deal with clients, explain financial literacy��� etc. I think I���m quite lucky to have two different kinds of mentors. I also contribute them my effort whatever I can. I think that���s called mutual-benefit relationship.

Ben didn���t tell us a lot about his mentors.

PS: Tai-Chi-Chuan is not an exercise for elders but a martial art designed to kill enemies and defend attack. If you just want to take exercise, I think dance is much better.

沒有留言:

張貼留言